My Marriage Certificate Is Missing My Married Name. Now What?

Sad Bunny Costume

So your marriage certificate is missing your married name and you're wondering if you'll ever be able to change your name. What happened? What went wrong? You're not alone.

Folks in California, Georgia, Oregon, New York, among others, have it easy. When they apply for a marriage license the application has a clear bright spot to choose a new last name after marriage.

But if you don't live in one of those types of states, you can't declare a new name on your marriage application, marriage license, or marriage certificate. Are you missing out?

On the flip side, maybe you live in a state that allows you to choose a new name on the application, but you regret your choice. Or maybe you didn't choose. Are you disadvantaged?

In this brief post, we'll cover both angles. You'll find out how much trouble you're in and potential fixes to resolve your woes.

They never asked me for my new name

Maybe the marriage license application asked for your new name, but you missed it. Did you forget? Did the clerk forgot? What are you missing? Do you need to correct your marriage certificate? Does it even matter?

If these are the questions you're asking yourself, you're in limbo. It's time to bring you out of the fog.

Let's assume that you're sure the marriage license application never asked for your new name after marriage. Your memory isn't faulty. You looked for it and it wasn't there.

Your marriage license has your current name. Your marriage certificate has your current name. If you're not married yet, you expect your marriage certificate to fall in line and show your current name too.

At this point you may wonder how you'll change your name if your marriage license or marriage certificate only has your current name.

You can't be the only one facing this predicament, right?

If this matches your experience, you're in the majority. This omission may appear to be a roadblock, but it's not.

It just doesn't matter

Most marriage certificates don't show married names. Instead, they'll show the current name, maiden name, or birth name.

This is because the marriage license application for most states doesn't offer spots to specify a new name after marriage. But this won't stop you from changing your name.

For those states, your marriage certificate is proof of a name change event, even if it doesn't show your new name. The act of marriage itself is what allows your name change to take place.

They did ask for my new name, but I screwed up

Everything explained so far only applies if your state's marriage license application did not offer a space to choose a new name after marriage.

If they asked, but you left it empty, you have a problem. If you made a mistake in choosing your new name, you have a problem.

I left my new name blank

What if the marriage license application had a spot to choose a new name after marriage, but you left it blank? Did you miss your shot?

Yes, you've missed your shot, assuming your marriage has occurred. If you're not married yet, get another marriage license.

Remember, they tell you to review your marriage license before signing it for a reason. Your signature locks in your choices. Not choosing is a choice.

I chose the wrong name

What if you specified a new name, but have since changed your mind? Today you want to pick out an entirely different name. Are you out of luck?

Yes, you're out of luck, assuming your marriage has taken place. If you're not married yet, get a new marriage license in your preferred name.

Why am I stuck?

If you choose a new name on your marriage license application, it will automatically show up on your marriage certificate.

The Social Security Administration, DMV, and other government agencies will recognize and use the new name shown on your marriage certificate when you update or renew your documents.

That's why having the wrong name on your marriage certificate is such a problem.

For example, let's say you get married in California. The marriage application allows you to choose a new last name. It even lets you to choose a new middle name.

On the application, you add your spouse's birth name to your middle name, separated by a space. You hyphenate your maiden name with your spouse's current surname.

Now you're married, but you haven't changed your name with anyone yet. Your social security card, driver's license, and passport are still in your old name. Well, your current name, that is.

Your marriage certificate arrives in the mail. You're not happy. It shows the new names you chose, but they're no longer the names you want.

Now you want to keep your middle name by itself. And you want the last names to stay hyphenated, but in reverse order. Spouse's first, yours last.

The county clerk refuses to alter your marriage certificate. Next, you go to the Social Security Administration and DMV and ask them to make an exception. What do they do?

They reject your request.

Fix your mistake

If you're not satisfied with the name you chose or didn't choose, apply for a new marriage license, amend your marriage certificate, or petition the court for a name change.

Those are you three options. Let's go through them.

1: Apply for a new marriage license

If your marriage ceremony hasn't happened yet, you're in luck. Replace your faulty marriage license by applying for a new one. You must pay the marriage license fee again.

2: Amend the marriage certificate

Marriage certificate amendments are for mistakes and typos. They're not meant for changes of heart. Perhaps the clerk will sympathize and allow the change, but it's a Hail Mary pass. Failure is likelier than not.

Even if you could get your marriage certificate amended, it might not help. This is because they attach amendments to the original marriage record. They're not replaced. Everyone will still see the old record.

Just because a vital records clerk forgoes or straight up breaks the rules doesn't mean other federal and state agencies will accept it. They could dismiss your amendment as unlawful.

3: Petition the court

If you've run out of options, you must petition the court for a name change. This is the worst-case scenario. It may be expensive and time-consuming, but at least you're guaranteed to get the name you want.

You could even change your first name while you're in court. You can't do with a marriage certificate.

Will I get in trouble if I don't change my name?

No, you won't get in trouble if you don't change your name after marriage. That's a myth or misconception.

Even if your marriage certificate shows a new married name, you don't have to follow through with it. Maybe in 2 years, 10 years, or 20 years, you'll change your mind. But, for now, just ignore it.

Is there a loophole?

We've had readers report unlikely successes dealing with city, county, social security, passport, and DMV clerks. You may fail where they've succeeded. But you may find an opening where others don't even bother to venture.

Did you find a name change loophole? Were you able to get your name changed when you thought it was impossible? Share how you did it.

Do you plan to change your name?

Our online name change kit makes it easy.

Get Started

723 Comments

1. Rachel

So I applied for my married application in GA a few weeks ago, I have not gotten married yet. I do not want to change my name right now, but I would like the option to if i decide to later on.

On the form where it asks "what will your new name be after marriage" I wrote my Fiance' last name. The clerk was rude and short with me and I was very confused with the process. She made is sound like if I didn't write his last name on the application now it would be more difficult if I decide to change it in the future. Is that accurate?

Is my legal name after we are married now my Fiance's name or my birth name if I haven't gone to SS or any other places?

Do I have to go to SS to legally change it or does the marriage certificate legally change it?

At this point I don't want to change my name yet, but I might in the future. What should I do now? Try to reapply for another marriage licence with my birth name or not worry about it bc its not legally changed until I go through SS? …very confused and stressed about this.. please help….

You don't have to change your name. But the option will remain to do it later.

That is accurate. Think of it like a placeholder.

Your legal name is still your birth name.

The SSA doesn't get automatically notified. You'll have to initiate the change with them directly.

Select your new name on the application. It's nonbinding. Even if you choose not to go forward with it, you preserve the option.

The latter. Don't worry about it. It's there if you decide to use it.

2. Caitlyn

Would the process be the same if my husband takes my last name? from Texas

3. April

I got married in Lincoln, Nebraska, our marriage certificate application didn't ask what name I wanted to use for my married name. I want to use my stepdad's last name (different from my maiden name) and hyphenate it with my husband's last name. Is this possible? I'm just worried that SS and DMV won't accept my marriage certificate, since my stepdad's last name isn't reflected on the marriage certificate.

It's not possible through marriage.

4. Veronica D

I was just recently married (August 16th 2020) in Las Vegas NV and I live in California. When I was online getting ready to place an order to have a copy of marriage certificate but I had noticed that my name was still my birth name. But when I filled out my marriage license I had put down that I wanted to change my last name to be the same as my husband.

Why does it still show my birth last name and not my new last night? Will I be able to have it changed At SS, DMV, etc to my husband last name whenever my marriage certificate comes in the mail ?

Hi Veronica. Are you saying your new last name isn't showing in the online portal or the certified certificate they mailed you. If it's the prior and there's a space where it's indicated to show, you can contact the county recorder to find out what's up. If it's the latter, you can contact them to reissue a certificate to fix their clerical error.

5. Jillian

Hi there,

I got married last September in Rhode Island and I live in Massachusetts and I was about to start the name change process and realized that my married name is not on the marriage certificate. Am I going to have an issue with Social Security and Massachusetts in changing my name?

I noticed on the marriage license it does have my first name by saying first middle and last name and then says birth name if (different) in the box next to it but the woman told me that was for people who had been married more than once Because she said to write my legal information on the certificate. I’m curious now if Massachusetts is going to give me problems with this or not. Thank you!

You won't have a problem. That's how Rhode Island designs their marriage license and certificate. It will be accepted fine in Mass.

6. Mackenzie

I got married/ a marriage license in NC. The marriage license shows my maiden name and not my husband's last name. We live in CA and I now want to change my name. Can I use my marriage license as proof to change my name in CA, even if the new name is not listed on the license?

Yes, since you were married in NC. If you married in CA, it'd be a different story.

7. Laura

Hi,

I got married about 3 weeks ago in Wisconsin, but we live in Illinois. I just got our marriage certificate, and for my name it states, in both boxes my maiden name.

I was planning on changing to my husbands last name. I believe we mentioned this to the woman who helped us get our marriage license and I don't recall any boxes saying to put my future last name or name after being married. Everything just said to put my current name, which I used my original (maiden) last name for since that was my name.

Will this certificate be accepted by the SSA and DMV to change my name? Or will i have to do additional things to change my last name like petition or etc? Please help!

Laura

Will this certificate be accepted by the SSA and DMV to change my name?

It will be accepted.

2. Kat

HI, Laura!
      Same thing also happened to me here in Wisconsin. After we got our marriage license (in 2020), we noticed that my surname didn't change. So when I got my DMV and Social Security, they were still my maiden name cos I wasn't able to use my husband's. Up until now, I still haven't changed it–we couldn't fix it right away due to the pandemic. Have you fixed yours?

8. Leanna

I recently got married in Wyoming, but live in Utah. I signed my marriage license with my maiden name. Will I be able to change my name in Utah with my marriage license? I would like to hyphenate my last name with his, but it's not clear if that's an option in Utah without petitioning a court.

Will I be able to change my name in Utah with my marriage license?

Yes, with the marriage certificate.

it's not clear if that's an option in Utah without petitioning a court.

That's not necessary.

9. Irene

I got married in California in 2008 (I know, long time, and just now I noticed!) I didn't change my last name to my husband's until later (2016 when I applied for US citizenship, I have dual).

The reason I started digging is that I need to change my last name in my second citizenship passport as it's also has expired on top of new name. For that, they accept only 2 documents as a proof of name change – (1) marriage certificate (important note – it HAS to have new last name section, which I don't) or (2) court order. Either one has to be notarized with apostil and translation.

I have tried researching which option is less work, I have asked consulate if I can get my marriage certificate amended to show new name and if they would accept that (they haven't responded yet).

Court order from CA seemed like more work especially if it has to come from the same state I got married in, I now live on other side of the country in state of Georgia. But if no choice I'll have to pursue.

Getting marriage certificate amended:

Besides the fact that I need it to reflect my new last name I have noticed typos in both my husband's parents’ names and mine. Since we are immigrants our names are long and very easy to mess up.

1) My question is – if I were to pursue marriage certificate amendment (even if they don't take it for my passport purpose, it's good to have it correct regardless) are my parents’ names typos enough along with new last name addition to get it approved? Your article says it's tough to get it and could get dismissed.

1a) Does the amendment have to come from the same state I got married in?

2) Other question is – if I to pursue court order does it have to be from the same state I got married in?

I need to change my last name in my second citizenship passport

Which country?

Most marriage certificates in the U.S. don't show the new name explicitly. It's derived by referring to the spouse's name. Are they explicitly saying it must show the new name or can it be derived?

I have tried researching which option is less work

Marriage certificate, if you can use it.

Typos may be corrected, but not the inclusion of a new name

See previous answer.

Does the amendment have to come from the same state I got married in?

State of residence.

1. Irene

Thank you so much! Second passport is for Russia. I called CA clerk recorder office and they said they can't include the name change just like you stated above (only correct typos), so I'll have to go with to petition to court.

OR try to present my current marriage certificate as is as a proof of name change and see what happens. But I still have to seek apostle and notarized translation.

Embassy response was (I assume by your name Valera – you can read this, if not, I can translate):

Если в свидетельстве о браке нет четкого указания на перемену фамилии, то Вам необходимо предоставить судебное решение (name change order) об изменении фамилии (полученное в Судебном департаменте штата). В нём должны быть четко указаны Ваши Ф.И.О (как в действующем российском загранпаспорте вместе с отчеством, переведенным на английский язык) и Ваши новые Ф.И. (как в американских документах).

На это документе также должен быть проставлен "Апостиль". Апостиль проставляется в секретариате штата, выдавшего документ (в США Апостиль проставляют в офисах Секретарей штатов. Сведения об адресах Секретарей штатов, их контактных телефонах можно найти на сайте: http://www.secstates.com.).

Оба документа должны быть переведены на русский язык (подробная информация на сайте Посольства РФ в Вашингтон: https://washington.mid.ru/ru/consular-services/, раздел "Перевод документов, перевод должен быть нотариально заверен в консульском отделе Посольства.

so I'll have to go with to petition to court.

Likely, as the California Name Equality Act had provided you the opportunity to choose a new name way back when. The embassy may be aware of this, hence their reply.

You could and see if they'll accept the certificate as-is and allow your new surname to be derived solely from your spouse's last name block.

1. Irene

Hello Valera,
            I already almost gathered all the documents for court to officially change my last name in order to renew 'zagran' to reflect it and just now realized I could just renew it with my maiden name – it is so much less work and money.

But if I fly to visit Russia I'd have to bring 2 passports (since they will show 2 different last names) and my marriage certificate with me, correct?

Any other docs to bring? AND another benefit of that is that I wouldn't have to change my local/internal Russian passport based on zagran or new name.

However:
            1. Will marriage certificate that doesn't show new last name work at the customs ?
            2. Will I need to have apostle and notarized translation with my marriage certificate or one original/certified copy of it is sufficient as is in English ?
            3. What name I should buy plane ticket under ? My friend once wasn't let on the plane because she bought it under her new name but I'm reading on-line it could work either way. I'd assume her experience is more solid information and I need to buy it under old name.

The more supporting documentation the merrier.

Any other docs to bring?

Other documents showing your maiden name wouldn't hurt, such as your birth certificate or prior ID (even if expired).

Will marriage certificate that doesn't show new last name work at the customs?

Not sure what you mean by "work?" It'll show proof of marriage and can link your two names.

You'll want to pose this question to consular services. They may want an official translation even if they have translators on staff.

What name I should buy plane ticket under?

Match the passport.

10. Kassandra

Michigan- my husband and myself applied for a marriage license and we were told to sign our maiden name even though we both want to use a different last name. She said we will sign again after the wedding but at that point are we able to sign the name we choose or do we have to sign our maiden name?

we both want to use a different last name

You wouldn't be able to change to an entirely new name through marriage.

but at that point are we able to sign the name we choose

At no point.

or do we have to sign our maiden name?

You'd sign whatever your current legal name is at the time.

11. DL Lee

I am a man who has had a legal first name change over 3 years ago. My social security card, state id, new birth certificate, other legal documents show that. We want a divorce and the marriage license carries the old first name. Does that make me still married under my new name, is a legitimate divorce necessary??

Hi Lee. Your marriage record is merely a historical vital record. Name changes don't invalidate or give it special meaning. Your divorce under your new name will dissolve your marriage, regardless of what name appears on your preceding marriage certificate.

12. Amber Sawyer

Hello! I live in North Carolina but was married in Virginia in 2016. I did not indicate a name change on the marriage license. Now I want to change my name as my first child is on the way. Will I need to petition the court in NC now for a name change?

13. Laila

I got married in NYC 5 years ago and chose not to change my name, so marriage certificate shows my maiden name. I’ve changed my mind now that we have a child and wish to now take my married name. Do I have to now petition the court in my state of residence? Will I encounter any future problems with a marriage certificate that shows my maiden name but all other ID documents show married name (after I successfully change it)?

Do I have to now petition the court in my state of residence?

Most likely.

That shouldn't be a problem.

14. Esther

So, I just got married and found out that my husbands name is wrong on his birth certificate, and now my marriage license is wrong and he needs to change his name too. What should we do in this situation?

15. Ellie

I got married in OK 10 years ago and signed the license and certificate using my maiden name. I currently reside in TX and would now like to add my husband's last name to my maiden name via hyphenation. Would I need to petition the court due to the duration of time or what steps would I need to take? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Hi Ellie. You'd just use your marriage certificate. There's no name change time limit procedural change.

16. Danielle

I was married in Vegas, September 14th of 2019. When filling out the license application, I did not designate a new name because I didn’t know you had to in order to change your name in the future, I wasn’t going to change right away. I am now wanting my name to be changed, what do I do since my maiden name is on my certificate and it has been a year?

Hi Danielle. Nevada is lenient in that it'll still allow a name change through marriage using your marriage certificate with the new name space empty.

17. Jane Teague-Urbach

We are 73 years old. Our marriage certificate shows only our maiden names (pre-hyphenation). ALL our other documents including our social security cards show our hyphenated names. Now I'm afraid we're going to have trouble getting Real I.D. We're on a fixed income so getting names legally changed is going to be a real challenge. What can we do..if anything?

18. Annie

I got married in Boston, MA and wrote down my husband's last name as my new name for the marriage license. But they didn't ask about my middle name. Do I need to file a name change petition in court to get my middle name changed to my maiden name?

19. Marie

Hi I am an NC resident trying to change my last name in NC. My marriage license doesn't have my new last name on it, but does have my maiden name and my husbands last name. It has a spot on it for name prior to marriage.

Should I have signed my new last name and put my maiden name in the name prior to marriage? Will I be able to change it through SSA or will I have to petition my local court?

No, it's asking for your current name and birth name. You filled it out correctly.

Using your marriage certificate will work. No need to go to court.

20. Sailea

I got married in Vegas I put my haha bra last name – my maiden last name. I haven’t changed anything yet but I want too. The thing is now I don’t want my last name on there just his. Do I have to amend to have my last name dropped off?

Hi Sailea. Although you have nothing to lose by asking for a correction, it's unlikely to be granted for such a circumstance. You could argue that it was an error or misunderstanding.

21. Jessica

Hello!
    My Fiancé and I will be getting married in Michigan this Sunday. I do not currently want to go through the name change process, but if we have kids in the future, I would like to change my name to his so I can have the same last name as my kids.

I just want the option to change my current last name to my married last name in the future. Should I write my married name on the marriage certificate? Do I have to change anything else right away or ever if we never have kids (SSC, DL, etc.)? Or can I just wait and change it in the future if I feel like it?

When I do taxes as married I would use my current (Maiden) last name until I officially changed it on my social security card/ Drivers license correct? Thank you!

Should I write my married name on the marriage certificate?

In Michigan, you'll put your current legal name.

You do not.

Or can I just wait and change it in the future if I feel like it?

You can.

22. Emily

My husband’s last name was legally changed (his mother remarried when he was very young). So the name on his birth certificate says one thing, and his legal name another – we put both names on the certificate in their designated locations, but the birth certificate name is what is at the top of the marriage license in big bold letters… that is 100% NOT the last name I am taking (and obviously not his last name either). We got married 2 days ago. Will this be an issue? (We are in NJ if that helps)

Hi Emily. Unless the certificate shows both names and properly designates them, it may be a clerical error. If so, you'll have to contact the local registrar for a correction and reissued cert.

23. Mia

Hello,

I plan on getting married here in California within the next couple of months. Due to COVID-19 and being far apart from immediate family we'll likely just go to a courthouse to sign documents and keep it private, until we can celebrate with family and close friends in our respective home states.

I do want to change my last name eventually, but I'm not so keen on switching before we can have some kind of party with loved ones. Is it legal to put my "new" last name on the license, but wait a year or longer to change it?

Also, if I apply for a passport renewal soon, can I do that after the elopement with my current last name, but amend it later with little to no cost when I start using the "new" surname? We will be moving to AZ mid-December, so I'll have to get a new Driver's License before too long. Could I also use my current last name for that up to whenever I decide to call the SSA about changing?

I feel overwhelmed and don't know if I asked about all the relevant issues.

but amend it later with little to no cost when I start using the "new" surname?

Follow-up renewal is free if done within a year of the prior.

24. Nichole

I recently got married in NV. Our officiant was from out of state and she performed and filled everything out correctly, we assume because we did it together.

I specifically wanted my last name changed to my new married name and it was on the marriage license application but for some reason when i got the email saying my new name was not designated on the certificate… but on all copies of certificate there was no place to put my new last name or married name anywhere just said first and last name.

Is this common? Will my new name be on the certificate because it was originally on my license application? What should i do? My officiant is out of state and only applied to do 1 time ceremony and i really don't want to do this process over again

Hi Nichole. Your new name should have appeared on your certificate. You'll have to contact the county recorder to inquire.

25. Marianne

Hello!

I am in NY & have kind of unique situation. When filling out our marriage license, I put my fiancé’s last name in the name change box. However, I want to keep my maiden name for now for insurance purposes (I am having a baby in January, and trying to get onto his insurance before that).

If I put my name down as maiden name on the insurance form, can they deny me because I filled out his last name on the marriage license? Due to COVID, everything is closed here & I don’t have time to rely on mailing in documents for my name change, so I thought it would be best to just wait until after the baby is born. I do want to change my last name to his after the baby is born. Will this be an issue as far as my insurance coverage? Can they deny me for using my maiden name? I am scared! Thanks in advance!

It's a nonissue. They'll understand that your name change is optional.

26. Monica

I am from Japan and got married in IL in 2016. I didn't change my last name. My green card has my maiden name as well as my marriage certificate. Now we have a kid and I want to have the same family name. What would be the next step?

1. Go to the SSA and change my last name with the marriage certificate 2.Go to the DMV with a new SS card and change my last name 3. Start the process to change my name on my green card. Is my understanding correct?

Hi Monica. Using your marriage certificate, green card, then SSA, then DMV.

1. Monica

Hi Valera,

We tried to change my name when I removed the conditions last year with my marriage certificate. However, they did not approve our request. They said we needed legal materials with a new name.

If I change my last name on the SS card first, will it be a legal ID to change my last name on my green card?

Hi Monica. They should have given details of what legal materials they're referring to. Your marriage certificate is a legal document, but green card should be doable beforehand.

2. Monika

Exactly my situation. As per my understanding and as you said that you have maiden name on all your documents including Marriage certificate, you need to file a petition for name change in court then you will get legal name changed document. so that you can show that to PR,SSN and dmv etc wherever you want to change the name as you changed your name legally. They will change your name.

Hi Monika. You don't need to go to court. Use your marriage certificate to complete your name change.

27. Karen

I got married back in 1989 in CA. I decided to take my Husbands last name after marriage and did the proper procedures. However, just recently i couldn’t find my marriage license and or certificate so i went down to the county recorders office.

Upon paying for a copy (just had to show my drivers license and birth certificate) I see that in the bold box is my maiden name, not my married name which I’ve been going by for over 30 years. Matter of fact, the entire license / certificate doesn’t have my last name shown anywhere. It shows my first name, my middle name and my old maiden name. Upon looking at the signature I supposedly signed, it shows the same wrong name.

I see that even my signature isn’t mine upon looking even closer. My question to you: how would someone have perhaps changed the original information on a filed document ? Why would someone do that and would it effect the home I bought with my husband using my married name? Also, can it be changes back ?

Where the box is that reads “Maiden/Last/Family” it is completely blank. And again, the bold box shows my maiden name instead of my married name I’ve been going by for years.

Help!!!!

Hi Karen. In 1989, that was the format for California marriage certificates. After the Name Equality Act of 2007, the designed it to show married name.

28. Nicole

Hello,
    I got married in Las Vegas NV in 2018/ but live in NY. I’m ready to change my name, but noticed my marriage certificate does not have a new name. I must have left it blank at application. I’ll be changing my name through SSA via mail and then at the DMV in person. Will this be an issue that may reject the name change?

29. Traveler

Word of advice – if you change your name in your US marriage certificate and then ignore that name change in other US documents (which is Ok based on this article above and also based on our own experience), and then you intend to live oversees and use your US marriage certificate to prove that you are married (which maybe important, like linking father to children), you can then be in a lot of trouble oversees.

Some countries, unlike the US, make a big deal over name changes in marriage certificates. So they will accept your US marriage certificate but then claim that your other documents, like local passports, have wrong (old) names. Watch out!

30. Marissa

My husband and I just got married this October in Wisconsin. I filled out our marriage application and used my maiden name when filled in the “current name” section. I only realized this was a mistake after we received our copies of our marriage certificate.

I was so excited to change my last name, but now am I unable to sense only my maiden name is listed on our marriage certificate? How can I fix it so I can change my last name to match my husbands?

Hi Marissa. You'll be able to change your name fine in Wisconsin using your marriage certificate, as "current name" and "birth name" are the only name-related questions on the marriage application.

31. Marisa

Hi – I live in New Jersey and was married in New Jersey this summer. I only saw a place to put my name as it appeared on my birth certificate, and did not see a place for my new last name. Did I miss something? Or does NJ not have a place for new last name on the marriage license and certificate?

You didn't miss anything. There's no such spot.

32. Sally Brown

Married in MS (2017) but lives in TN, what will the process be to finally change to husband last name?

what will the process be to finally change to husband last name?

Same as if you lived in Mississippi or any other state. Use a certified copy of your marriage certificate as proof of your name change event when filing with the SSA, DMV, etc.

33. Nikita Samani

Hello,

Got married in NYC in April 2018 and I signed the marriage certificate with my maiden name and did not put down my husband's name .
    We are currently living in Texas and I would like to take my husband's last name. Do we have to petition the court here? Thanks so much.

34. Elsa

Hello, I got married in California 6 yrs ago, but when completing my marriage license application I wrote my legal maiden name on the specific new name spot, and I wanted to add my husband last name, when I saw the mistake I asked the clerk for a change but she said it was too late since it was right after marriage.

Do I need a court order to make the change if my marriage certificate only shows my legal maiden name.

Do I have to pay a lawyer for that?

Hi Elsa. You do need a court-ordered name change at this point. You don't have to hire a lawyer to do so.

35. Abigail

I just got married in Illinois how would I go about changing my last name to my married name

Hi Abigail. There's a dedicated Illinois name change page. The procedure is the basically the same for all states. Use a certified copy of your marriage certificate to change your name with various government and non-government institutions.

Start with your social security card, then driver's license, then passport, and so on.

36. Tina

Hi Tyrone,

I listed on the marriage license application that I wanted my new surname to be my husband's, and my maiden name become my middle name (TM to TMP). However, today we received our marriage certificate from GA (we live in SC) and the certificate only lists my maiden name (TM). I was told by the clerk the name change happens after you are married (as TM was printed on the marriage license), so I expected my requested name would appear on the certificate.

Since it's not, am I able to change my name with the SSA with my certificate as is, or does TMP need to be on the marriage certificate in order to move forward with changing my name with all institutions (and as an official name change doc)? Will the office change the mistake or will I be forced to go through the lengthy and costly process of changing my name through the courts and newspaper as I've read online?

Also, I am looking to potentially travel internationally in December. If I legally change my name to TMP prior to traveling, will I be able to travel with my passport that says TM? Should I buy my ticket with TM or TMP?

Hi Tina. You may want to give the probate court a call to find out if there was a clerical error and getting your certificate corrected and reissued gratis. They'll reissue if it's a mistake on their end.

As for travel, just book your ticket to match the name on your passport. If you update your SS card and driver's license, but not your passport, the ticket should still match the name on your passport.

If you can't get your updated passport in time for travel, you should consider waiting until after traveling to update that credential.

37. Sara

Hi,

I have seen you helped a lot of people the same question I am going to ask, but the reason of mine is to help others who faces the same issue in Maryland.

Last week when we filled up the Marriage License Form at Circuit Court there were no humans to ask any questions because of COVID. So we filled the marriage license form and dropped off in a box.

In the form we didn't find any option for changing the name, so when clerk called back my partner didn't ask the question of changing name. So next day he called the clerk to confirm that we didn't see the option of changing the name after marriage, so the clerk said "I will send you the information no worries". Then on the day of ceremony before vows I asked her again and she said she will send us the documents. After couple of days we received the Certificate of marriage which still reflects the name I had before marriage because no one asked any name change request nor we gave them any New name information yet, right?

So I find out your website where you were right about that we are not alone, we were thinking we did something wrong or there is some error from the clerk? However you explains that it depends on the state you live in, in Maryland you don't find the option of changing name on the marriage license form the time you applied neither you have name change option at the ceremony nor clerk asked us these questions any time of the process.

The name I had before the marriage reflects the marriage license, ceremony vows and marriage certificate. Confusion starts now….. I have checked multiple times the website of circuit court they did not explain how you are able to change the name, they just stated on the website that after marriage for changing name go to social security and DMV, submit the application along with the certified copy of marriage certificate.

We also find a yellow page form with the certificate which we have to fill and mail out to the circuit court, I think it’s for the request of the certified copy, in the form it still asks that print your name “which you had before marriage”. The package doesn’t contain any information about changing the name.

Definitely, people will confuse how come we can change our name if our marriage certificate reflects our old name (which we had before marriage).

However you explained on your website that marriage license/certificate itself is the authentic document to change your name because it has your husband’s name, if you want to change your last name, right? What if someone what’s to change her first name also along with the last name as husband name. example…

i.e husband name: Daniel Joseph & wife name: Sara Angel (before marriage)- Now I wanted to change as “Alisha Daniel”

I really appreciate your support and time you take to read. God bless you.

Exactly.

Not possible through marriage using your marriage certificate. Gotta go to court for that. Completely separate.

38. Emily

Hi I recently was married in Tennessee our marriage license only has my maiden name on it. I don’t remember seeing a spot to change my last name. We live in Ohio. Will I be able to change my name at ss and dmv using the license?

Hi Emily. New name spot doesn't exist in Tennessee. You'll be able to change your name fine.

39. Melissa Hession

Hello!

I got married back in March of 2020 and I did not change my name to my spouses name and kept my maiden name. I live in California and want to change my last name to his. How do I do this? Is it too late?

Hi Melissa. If you did specified your new name on your marriage license and it's reflected on your marriage certificate, use that to change your name as your normally would. If you didn't specify it at the time, you'll have to petition the court.

40. Shiela

Hi
    I got married in Toronto Canada 2016. My marriage certificate only reflects my birth name. I live in PA and would like to now take my husband last name. How should I go about this?

41. Cori Bernal

I was married in 2020 and my name on my marriage certificate matches my birth certificate, but I was able to change my social security card and driver's license to reflect my husband's last name. Am I able to remove my husband's name from my name legally?

Am I able to remove my husband's name from my name legally?

What do you mean remove? To reverse your name change? To your name before marriage? If so, you could request a name correction or reversal from the SSA.

The procedure is the same as changing your name. You'd use your marriage certificate as the validating document. But, you'll almost certainly face trouble when trying to undo your driver's license name change. For that, you'll have to get a court order.

42. RS

Hi there! I was born in Russia and for the first 15 years of my life went by a name such as John Dough. When I was 15, my parents became US citizens and changed their last name to Doe. At the time, we had my birth certificate in Russian translated and notarized showing name of John Doe, which is what I go by now and have for some time.

When I got married, in NJ, the municipal township put John Dough as my name at birth even though I go by John Doe. When my wife wanted to adopt the name Doe, SSA told her the marriage certificate would have to be amended to show Doe.

The township sent a letter to the NJ State department to amend the license to show Doe, but they're asking for evidence of the name change. Given I was underage at the time and adopted my parents' name change (Doe), any idea what I can provide?

I understand my wife can go to the court and do the name change that way, but then I think the marriage license will always be an issue for anything we need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it has been a frustrating time.

they're asking for evidence of the name change.

How about your birth certificate? Short of that, your wife would have to get a court-ordered name change.

43. Katlyn Hogan

I got married by the court in NY and now I’m having my wedding next year on my marriage certificate it has my last name because the clerk gave me wrong info I told her didn’t want to change my last name yet but I will next year she told me to put down that I’m keeping my last name. Is there any way I can change my last name now?

Is there any way I can change my last name now?

Apply for another marriage license and get your marriage solemnized again. It'll override your prior marriage certificate.

44. Amanda

Hi there! I got married in California and forgot to put my new married name. I live in Florida. Do I have to file for an amendment?

45. Gee Vee

Hi! We live in CA but eloped in Las Vegas on Halloween. My birth name is Gee Vee but I changed it to Gee Vee (new middle name) Cee (husband's last name) on the marriage license. I'm regretting taking his last name. Can anything be done to revert back to my birth name? Do I legally have to change my DL, SS card, passport? If I have children can I give them my birth last name (Vee)? Or is that a bad idea since both my husband and my last name is technically Cee? Thanks!

Do I legally have to change my DL, SS card, passport?

You do not. Ignore you marriage certificate and your name stays the same.

If I have children can I give them my birth last name (Vee)?

No, it has to be your current legal last name.

46. Robert

I recently got married in Jamaica. When we received our marriage certificate, it shows my wife's maiden name only. Is that going to be a problem here in the states to change her last name to mine on all her important stuff, like driver's license, social security cards, etc.?

Hi Robert. Your Jamaican marriage certificate won't pose a problem for your wife changing her name.

47. Mary

So I missed the change the surname box on my marriage license in New York. I wasn’t 100% sure nor did the clerk ask to confirm it. Am I screwed with switching my name on all other documents or should having my certificate of marriage be good enough? I don’t want to waste money on hitch switch.com if it won’t work. Please help

Hi Mary. If necessary, you can apply for a New York remarriage license and start over.

48. Berenice

My husband and I got married October 2019 in Oaxaca Mexico we are from California our marriage certificate doesn’t have a spot for new names so When i called SS office they said I’d have to petition the court, after reading this blog i feel like i don’t need necessarily need to go that expensive long route. Correct me if I’m wrong?

Also since i was married in Mexico do i need to do anything here to make the marriage be legal here in the U.S? In my wedding package i had paid to make the marriage legal which some people i talked to had said they didn’t think that was an actual thing that i had to do but since covid happened their offices closed apparently so they refunded the money I had paid for the legality Please help I’ve been going around in circus with covid most offfices being closed it’s made it harder to get all this figured out.

Do i need to make marriage legal here?

Can i still use my husbands last name without going through petitioning the court? And when SS offices open up just start there to change my name and then everything else?

Correct me if I’m wrong?

You shouldn't have to petition. Foreign marriage certificates are valid.

do i need to do anything here to make the marriage be legal here in the U.S?

If it was a legally performed marriage in Mexico, it's valid in the U.S. A certified copy of your marriage record would show that.

In my wedding package i had paid to make the marriage legal

I'm not sure what this is referring to.

Do i need to make marriage legal here?

If your marriage in Mexico is invalid, you can get married in the states.

Informally, yes. Formally, you'd use a certified copy of your marriage certificate. But, it appears the validity of your marriage is in question.

Correct.

49. Monica Cardenas

Hello, I got mArried in CAlifornia in 2002, On the license and certificate it has my maiden names, and now that i want to change it to my husbands, do i need to go thru court to change it? or will it be ok going to the social security office then dmv? Wi;; i have a problem? Thanks you

50. Terri

I am in Arizona, we were married 1 year ago and I did not put a new name on our marriage certificate because we wanted to wait until we had a wedding with our family back east before I changed my name. Can I go straight to changing my name through social security or do I have to petition for a name change now? If I have to petition for a name change will this affect my birth certificate, I do not want it reissued with the name change.

Go straight to social security using your Arizona marriage certificate.

Not applicable, but even if you had to petition, it wouldn't affect your birth certificate unless you wanted it to. Meaning, if you had a court ordered name change, you could use it to update the name on your birth certificate.

51. Veronica

Hello,

On my Marriage License and Marriage Certificate it shows my name exactly as my birth certificate, they never asked if i wanted to change it to my husbands last name, its been 10yrs and Now that we have kids, i want to change it to his, will it be ok to just go to social security office? How do i go about this? Thank you so much!
    Im in California and Married here aswell..,
    i got married in the court house btw..

Hi Veronica. You'll likely have to go to court as the Name Equality Act was in effect at that time. Are you certain you weren't asked? You can contact the county clerk to confirm this by having them look up the application record.

52. Bill (Peterson) Burden

I just got married in Pennsylvania (same sex couple). The marriage license application did not ask for my new surname, so I completed it with my surname from birth. As a result, my marriage certificate shows my surname from birth.

Do I need to petition the court now to complete a legal name change? And if I complete the process though the court, is it okay that my marriage certificate will show my surname from birth?

I will get a new social security card and driver's license that show my married surname, but my marriage certificate will have my old surname. Is this the correct procedure?

The marriage license application did not ask for my new surname

Standard in PA.

my marriage certificate shows my surname from birth.

That's the correct formatting. You're good to go there.

Do I need to petition the court now to complete a legal name change?

No need. Name change through marriage using your marriage certificate would work.

Not applicable. Even if you had to go to court, your marriage certificate wouldn't come into play.

That's correct.

53. Dominique

I got married and changed my middle name and last name with social security. My middle name had one letter wrong since birth so I changed it with social security at the same time as my last name. No problem. Went to the DMV and they would not allow me to have my middle name changed. We live in Connecticut. What would I need to do?

54. Courtney Cummis

Hello, I got married in TN and live there as well. I don't remember there being a spot for a name change when filling out my application but I am wanting to take my husband's name. My license is changed and so is my bank account, but trying to change it on my vehicle and at work is proving difficult since the marriage certificate reads my previous last name and not the one I'm opting for. What do I need to do?

There isn't any.

Your marriage certificate is good enough for federal and state agencies, but not for your workplace? They're asking for something that doesn't exist.

1. Courtney Cummis

Do I need to provide my marriage license AND my driver's license with my new last name on it when changing my name on my vehicle and at work?

Hi Courtney. For work-related name changes, a copy of your marriage certificate should suffice. If you can provide additional ID (i.e., driver's license), that wouldn't hurt.

55. J

I go by my middle name. When I married (nearly 24 years ago), I dropped my first name and used my middle name, maiden name and married name. Have never had a single problem in all these years, but today I was denied a real ID. I live in TN and my marriage license is in Tennessee.

Hi J. The problem is you don't have a name change document that proves your name change. You were able to get an unconventional name change 24 years ago that probably shouldn't have been authorized. It wouldn't be allowed today.

Unless they're willing to make an exception for the length of time you've had your name changed, a new name change document will be requested. Specifically a court order.

56. Veronica

Hi my husband and I got married in California 2007. I signed our marriage license with my maiden name. Since then I was able to change it at the social security office and dmv I put my maiden name as a middle name and added his last name as my last name in 2015. However someone recently told me that my name is what is on my marriage license so I’m confused because I was able to change it at the social security office and dmv I showed them my marriage certificate and they said nothing about me signing with my maiden name.

Hi Veronica. You're fine because the California Name Equality Act of 2007 didn't actually go into effect until January 1, 2009.

57. Lizzy

I live in CO and my wife and I also married 2 years ago and are now going about the name change process. Our request was denied due to the names not being correct on the Marriage Certificate. I relooked at the form, and it does not ask for a new name anywhere, so both of our birth names are listed.

Before getting rejected, I had no idea I was supposed to have a married last name on the form anywhere, and I don’t recall the clerk asking what our new last name would be. I am not sure what the next step is. But apparently the marriage license didn’t work for us with our maiden names. :-/

Colorado's forms don't list new names, so you didn't miss anything there.

I had no idea I was supposed to have a married last name on the form anywhere

You weren't.

I don’t recall the clerk asking what our new last name would be.

They wouldn't, as it wouldn't be applied to the application, license, or recorded marriage certificate.

I am not sure what the next step is.

Which entity rejected your name change?

58. Autumn Manry

Hi, I got married in Louisiana and I didn't sign my married name on my marriage license. I want to go change my name with the social security office and dmv. Will my signing my maiden name stop me from being able to?

Hi Autumn. Signing your maiden name was correct. You won't face any problems.

59. Jasmine

Hi there. My fiance and I will be getting married in Maryland in the near future. Is it possible for my fiance to take my last name and make his current last name his middle name after marriage without having to petition?

Thanks for all your help!

Hi Jasmine. Yes, your fiance can take your last name and replace his middle name with his current last name.

60. Monika

I got married in MA in 2018 and now in TX. my marriage certificate has my maiden name. I didn’t want to change it at that time so used my maiden name on SSN, PR etc. now I want to change my name with my husband’s name.
    So do i need to file petition or can I change it on marriage certificate? What will be the easiest way?
    Thanks.

1. Monika

How can I change my name with my married name on SS,PR and passport? Just need to show marriage certificate but it has my maiden name.

Hi Monika. You're alright using your marriage certificate, since you're in a state where that doesn't list your new name on their marriage certificates.

61. Jane

Hello again, I wrote a comment yesterday about trying to use my maiden and husband's last name both as my new surname. I want to use my maiden name professionally (and to buy an office, and practice dentistry under), and I will use his name socially. However, I'm not sure if I mentioned that my marriage certificate was issued in NY and I wrote his name as my new surname at that time (not thrilled about it there). Do I need to change the NY marriage certificate first? Thanks!

Hi Jane. In your previous comment you inquired about using dual last names, without a hyphen. You wouldn't be able to amend your marriage certificate for non-typographical errors. At best, you can apply for another marriage license and remarry. But NY doesn't permit space-separated surnames either.

2. Kirsten

Your legal name is your maiden name until you decide to change it with Social Security and on your driver's license. Just because you wrote it on your marriage certificate doesn't mean you're obligated to change it, it's optional for if/when you want to take your husband's name. Your name didn't automatically change.

62. Jackie

Hi,

My husband and I have been married for over a decade. We are just realizing his middle name is incorrect on our marriage license. We were married and live in California. How do we go about correcting this error? Thanks!

63. Alice

Hello from California!

Earlier this year, I petitioned for a name change to change my first name for personal preference and my last name to reflect my partner's last name because we were planning on getting married this year.

The petition has been approved and I've received paperwork from the court to change my name, but the issue is none of the government agencies are open so I can't go to the social security office to get my name changed. So legally, on my license and social security card, my birth name is still showing.

We just decided to get married in a few months and are planning to apply for my marriage license and certificate. My question to is – will it matter if my marriage certificate shows my original birth name? Since I will eventually get my name legally changed on my documents (social security card, license, etc) and my new name will be eventually be what I go by.

Thanks!

will it matter if my marriage certificate shows my original birth name?

It won't matter, since you'll still be using your court order to change your name later.

64. Amy

Hello, I need some advice.
    I’ve got married 16years ago and I put my maiden name on a marriage certificate. However, I want to change my last name to my husband name now. I went to the county marriage certificate office, but they said they can’t change my last name.

Right now, my social security card has my husband’s last name, driver’s license and marriage certificate have my median name. How can I change all of my name to my husband’s last name?

I am a permanent resident and have a green card. I want to change my green card name to my husband’s last name, but my driver’s license name is my maiden name, so I cannot apply for a name change… Thanks.

Hi Amy. Form I-90 is used to change the name on your green card. You'll use your marriage certificate for that. It may have your maiden name, but your new name can be derived from your husband's. Same goes for your driver's license.

65. Want my maiden name!

Hi- I got married in Oregon (July 2018). At the time of completing the marriage license application, I thought I wanted to changed my last name to my spouse's last name, so I completed the license with the name change.

However, I never went through with contacting SS, banks, changing my drivers license, etc. I've decided I would prefer to just keep my maiden name.

Do I need to somehow change my last name back to my maiden name? Or, should I not worry about it because it's only changed on my marriage license and I never changed it with SS or the DMV?

Do I need to somehow change my last name back to my maiden name?

No need.

Correct. Just ignore the new name on your marriage license.

66. Rachel

Hello, my husband and I recently married in California. We were both planning to change our last names to his mother's maiden (he currently uses his 1st stepfather's last name), but at the civil ceremony we were told we can't do that there and would have to go to the clerk's office to get a name change. Since we couldn't change our last names then, we put our current names on our marriage certificate.

My questions are, do we both have to petition for a name change, or can I use our marriage certificate after he changes his name to get mine changed as well? Also, will we have to amend our marriage certificate after we change our names to show our new names?

Thank you!

do we both have to petition for a name change

You'll both have to petition.

Your marriage certificate is no longer good for name change purposes.

You don't have to. You couldn't even if you wanted to.

67. Tonya Hanna

Hi. I got married in Hawaii in December. I hyphenate my last name.. mine then his. i haven't done anything else to change my name. My marriage certificate has the new name on it. I no longer want to change my last name and continue to use my maiden name. do I have to change my marriage certificate?
    Tonya

Hi Tonya. You don't have to change your name. You can ignore what you specified on your certificate.

68. Victoria Mendes

Hey there, my husband and I got married last December in Indiana. We filled our marriage application online and there was no additional field asking what my name would be after marriage, so my marriage certificate is with my MAIDEN NAME. Did we make a mistake? Should I have told the clerk that I wanted to change my last name to my husband's name?

Does anyone know how it is in Indiana?

Thanks

Hi Victoria. You didn't miss anything. You didn't make a mistake. Your marriage certificate is as it should be. You can still use it to change your name to your husband's. They'll deduce your last name from your husband's name.

69. Kisha

Hi.
    I got married in October of 2019 in NC. There was not a place that I recall to put what I wanted my married last name to be. My marriage certificate has my original last name on it. I am wanting to change my name now.

Will I have to go through the courts to petition a name change since it is not indicated on my marriage certificate? I am extremely confused on this entire process.

Also is there a way to keep my maiden name as a second middle name or will I have to get rid of my first middle name completely?
    Thank you!

My marriage certificate has my original last name on it.

As it should.

Will I have to go through the courts to petition

No, you can use your marriage certificate.

You'll have to replace it completely.

70. LC

Hello,
    After I got married, I went through a name change and hyphenated my name due to my profession (my last name-husband's last name). We're going to be moving and I would like to just have just my husband's last name (drop mine in the hyphenation). Can I go through SSA with my marriage certificate or do I have to go through a petition of name change?

Thank you!

Hi LC. If you've only changed your name on your social security card, you can opt for a name correction using your marriage certificate. If you've changed it on other documents (e.g., driver's license, state ID, passport), using your certificate won't work. In those instances, you'll need to petition.

71. Helen

Hello,my name is Helen. Two years ago I got confidential married in CA. Now I change my first name in court. How I can change my first name in married certificate?

72. Jessica

I got married about 2 months ago and changed my name through the SS office. I have name change regret. Am I able to change it back? The only place it changed was SS and marriage license has my old last name on it. I may not have access to the marriage license in this marriage though… please help. TX

73. Emily

Hello,
    Looking for advice on a specific name situation, please! My husband and I were married in 2020. He has a hyphenated last name (2 last names). We BOTH want to take only 1 of his last names. Unfortunately, we did not have the time to change his last name before getting married, so his hyphenated name is on the marriage license.

Will we have to go through the court to change his last name, then get it changed on the marriage license? Afterwards, then I can change my last name, without a court hearing, by having proof of the marriage license. Is this the correct way to go about this?

Will we have to go through the court to change his last name

You'd both have to go to court. To be certain, could you share the state where you got married?

then get it changed on the marriage license?

That's not likely to fly, as most amendments wouldn't outright replace your old certificate. The amendment (which is unlikely to be approved) would be attached to the old record.

See previous answer.

74. Mayra Arroyo

Hello, My name is Mayra. I just got married in Las Vegas this year, and my marriage certificate only has my maiden name. Will I still be able to change my last name to my husbands' using only the certificate? I live in Washington state.

Thank You!

75. Faye

Hi. My husband legally changed his name (first, middle and last) three years after we got married. Is there a way to have his new name reflect on the marriage certificate? Or do we carry around the court orders forever to show that he's my husband?

Hi Faye. You can try and request an amendment, but it's unlikely to be accepted.

76. Sarah

Hello!

So I got married at the end of last year in Savannah, GA. I put my husband's last name on my license application under the designated surname for my name after marriage, but my actual marriage certificate/license has only my first name and maiden name. Was it supposed to have my new name? Can I still change my name with social security with my maiden name on the license? This is such a confusing process. Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Hi Sarah. It should have appeared on your certified copy. You'll have to contact the probate court to determine what happened. Since you're just taking your spouse's surname as-is, your certificate should still be fine for use.

77. Savannah

Hi! I have been married for over two months and at the time I chose to keep my maiden name. But. I live in Oregon where they actually specify. Do I need to file an actual court change if I have decided to take my husbands name or can I just change my social security and drivers license and go with it? Thanks!

78. Kristen Harmel

I am a California resident and recently got married in Jamaica. My marriage certificate contains my maiden name but I want to take my husbands name. I was not given the opportunity to indicate my new name on the license or certificate.

Can I use my current certificate from Jamaica to obtain the name change in CA or will I need to do a court petition for a name change?

79. Cyn

I was married almost 4 years ago, my marriage license has my first name and married name, but no middle name, I wanted my maiden name as my middle name. I have not taken it to social security or the DMV so everything is in my maiden name still. What do I do? I’d like to get me documents in my new name now.

80. Jackie

Hi! I recently got married in Georgia. On the marriage license, it asked me what my married name will be. I chose to hyphenate at the time.

We are now married, and we have received our marriage certificate. But it still lists my maiden name and not the married name that I opted for at the time.

Now that it’s time to change my name with SSN, I decided that I would like to have my maiden name as my middle name and have my husband’s last name as my last name.

Am I stuck with hyphenating, or is there hope? Is there a way to amend the marriage license, or could I apply for a name change with SSN using the marriage certificate and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jackie. You should be able to use your marriage certificate as-is (assuming that's what you were sent) to get your name changed with both the SSA and Georgia DDS.